HAPPY JULY! I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT JULY 4 LONG WEEKEND!
AS PROMISED… I will be continuing my conversation of pitta season, remember whether you’re a pitta dosha or not the following tips are for all doshas.
There are so many factors that contribute to aging gracefully, “the fountain of youth” has so much to do with our lifestyle. The universal phrase “you are what you eat” Is something I’m sure you have been hearing since grade school. The truth is nourishment and digestion are key ingredients for obtaining young skin, and vibrant inside health.
Ayurveda, teaches us to be consciously aware especially during our meals. By paying attention to a few basic principles, you can help your system extract the highest levels of nourishment from everything you eat.
BODY INTELLIGENCE TECHNIQUES (OR BITS FOR SHORT) ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- INCLUDE all six tastes at every meal
- EAT in a quiet, settled comfortable environment
- EAT only when you feel hungry
- DO NOT eat when your upset
- ALWAYS sit down to eat
- REDUCE ice-cold foods and beverages
- EAT at a comfortable pace, stay conscious of the process
- LISTEN to your appetite, digest the previous meal before starting next one
- DON’T overeat, leave 1/4 to 1/3 of your stomach empty to aid digestion
- EAT freshly prepared foods. Lightly cooked foods are preferable to raw
- FAVOR fruits, vegetables and grains, warm milk, or non dairy milk almonds
- CHEW at least 15 to 20 times before swallowing
- SIT quietly after you finish, focus your attention on the sensations in your body, if possible take a short walk.
During the next week, try to eat at least one meal of your day in total silence. No looking at your phone!!! Just try it, afterwards write down how you felt physically and mentally during the experience. Be aware of your hunger and satiety levels at the beginning and end of each meal, using your internal “appetite gauge”. Many of us operate on auto pilot… being consciously aware of this can make a huge difference in digestion and habitual patterns that no longer serve you.
Another HUGE factor in maintaining “fountain of youth” is by getting proper sleep!
Please welcome Katie Uniacke from Sleep Health Energy, who’s shares some interesting facts about skin health and sleep. Read her guest blog post here.
Remember to stay hydrated, as in many cases lack of water can trick us in thinking we need food. Make sure to take in at least half your body weight on a daily basis… FYI caffeine doesn’t count!!!
HAPPY JULY GODDESSES AND GODS!!!!!!!